Thursday 14 March 2013

How it all began...

For those of you remotely interested, i realised that i had jumped ahead slightly and hadn't given any time as to how this idea started and grew to the point where I found myself booking flights for America!

I had already done South to North Wales in 2011 on my MTB and was signing up for Snowdon and Ben Nevis the following year... in a passing conversation with Kat (LHS Chief Exec) she jokingly suggested that I cycle between the two... little did she know that that was the start of all this... the idea took root in my head and the following year I found myself standing at the top of Nevis having cycled 472 miles from Snowdon to get there!

At the gig on the Fri night before Nevis climb i was chatting to some people, when someone asked what I was doing the following year...

Jump back to a facebook conversation with Lily Elsayed.... I have always wanted to cycle across America (half jokingly)... well I know someone who wants to drive Route 66, they could be your support vehicle, came the reply...

Initial laughter.. then ideas started spinning round my head, a few mapped out routes later and the idea was solid in my mind.

That's the power of suggestion at work!  So unless you want to me to cycle round the world, climb Mt Everest (although that i would happily try), or get lost in the jungle of Bolivia whilst trying to cycle the length of S America, don't suggest it as a passing joke... it  will start off as a vague idea, form into an outline and end up as a fully formed plan, with tickets booked and lead more stress for those that get worried about me doing these things solo (see previous post)....

So saying that someone mentioned an Alaska bike/walking endurance challenge, then i saw a picture of the Alaska highway.... so it looks like another year's challenge... ahhgggg better get this year's over with first right????

1 comment:

  1. My friend Sara directed me to your blog and what you are doing as she thought I might find it interesting. And she was right - I do. I'm always inspired by people with a "can do" attitude and then who put their plans into action -- don't just talk about it but actually DO it. Shall now be following along to watch your progress. Amazing woman you are!

    ReplyDelete